Tuesday 3 July 2018

Thornbury (West Leeds/East Bradford) to Rawdon (North West Leeds) (7 miles) - 17th June 2018



Leeds Country Way, Thornbury



Continuing on the Leeds Country Way I got the No. 72 bus from Leeds to Thornbury playing fields, not far from where I left off last time, and proceeded on.  The signage isn't the best in the world on this stretch and the paths could do with some TLC.  I ended up "diverting" through Woodhall Wood and the lake, which is nice.  Via Ravenscliffe Wood, a lovely stretch, and along Fagley Beck, and Carr Hills I reached the busy A657 road at Greengages.  I stopped by the service station for a quick snack before descending down to the beck.


Leeds Country Way (between Thornbury and Greengates)









It was damp down the beck - guaranteed muddy boots during the winter months!  I walked and ascended up to the edge of Calverley Woods and crossed the Leeds and Liverpool Canal.  It was an experience to cross the canal rather than walk alongside it on this occasion.  Stopped at Apperley Bridge's George and Dragon Inn - expensive!  Then retraced the route and the River Aire and under the railway bridge.  






I've got lost around Cragg Woods and Woodland Drive - maybe turned off too soon and walked on an overgrown path full of nettles and brambles!   It was such a sterling effort not to be stung and prickled!  Somehow I ended up on the A658 and had to retrace my steps via a long detour via the privately owned Cragg Wood, probably an extra 1-2 miles added to the walk.  I eventually rejoined the LCW trail and ascended up to Knott Lane and eventually the Leeds to Rawdon A65 Road.  Just 5 miles or so to go, one thinks! 


Ascending up to Rawdon, Leeds Country Way



No comments:

Post a Comment

Cookridge to Golden Acre Park (North West Leeds) (The End) (1 mile) - 1st July 2018

Must turn right on the Leeds Country Way!   Reminding myself I must turn right, I must turn right...I caught the No. 6 bus from the ...